Sunday, July 11, 2010

paradise --> pouring rain

let's just say that my shower last night wasn't the most comfortable of things. i'm a FIRM believer in hot showers post sun-burn to take out the sting, however, they are veryyy uncomfortable. when i exposed my "tan" lines, i thought i was going to fall over, they're so severe. exciting though right?? post shower, i went straight to bed, and really enjoyed my time there. when it was time to get up this morning i was super super hesitant! breakfast was at 8 this morning because we were leaving for church at 9:30. we ate eggs with ham in them, and beans and tortillas. YUM. (really starting to looove scrambled eggs) got ready for church and bundled up, because it was FREEZING this morning. We all piled into the vans and headed to Iglesia Nazaret-this is the new church close to the city that the girls have been going to recently. I'm not sure that I like it quite as much, but then again, I haven't really experienced it too much. All of the congregation, as well as the pastors are very friendly and welcoming though! We were in church for about 2 hours (i could only understand about 30 minutes of the whole service), and afterwards, enjoyed the warm sunshine and complementary juice and cookies that the church had! We hung out for about 30 minutes after the service, and then 3/4 of the girls headed back to the Oasis, and the other ones stayed to watch the final World Cup game-Espana vs. Netherlands!
Once we got back to the Oasis, I changed out of my church clothes. because:
1. long skirts aren't my thing.
2. every part of my sunburn was being rubbed to my wits end and i thought i was going to die.
I decided that I would take a little siesta, so I laid down for about an hour or so. Such a great decision!!! Once I woke up, I layered up to forge my way across the yard in the freezing rain to the Lice House. They were all sitting around watching movies, so I curled up on the couch and joined them! Today was Cinderella 2. I hadn't seen it in english, so you better believe I was using more context clues than Disney could ever provide. Around 4 lunch was ready and it was delicious! I wasn't quite sure what I was getting myself into when I looked at my plate, but once I tasted everything, it was just...que rico! We had scrambled eggs with green beans mixed in, rice with tomatoes and peppers, homemade salsa, and broccoli salad! Yummmm.
After lunch, Wendy wanted to play cards. So, again, I ran through the pouring rain to get my deck of cards. I think that the rain today is making up for the amount of sunshine we've had. God doesn't want us to take it for granted I guess. We played 5 rounds of War, 9 rounds of Go Fish, and 2 games of Memory before I decided that I was all gamed out. I came up to the office and talked with Rebecca for a bit, and then we went and swapped out all the laundry and got a snack! I'm telling you, saltine crackers and peanut butter are the JAM! Everyone go grab your crackers and jar of JIF now-you'll really enjoy it!
Alllll afternoon it looked like it was hurricaning outside. Is there another storm I'm not aware of???
I went back over to the house around 6, and played MORE card games. I taught Wendy "War" the other day while we were tutoring, but I coudln't think of the word in spanish, so I told her that it was our special game and we would call it "Bendy". She is now obsessed and I'm glad because it helps her identify greater than or less than! We were called to the table around 7, and all sat down with no plates, only cups. There was this big pan in front of me with a cloth over top (kinda looked like a breadbasket) and a pink bowl with white stuff in it. After the prayer, I identified them both as yogurt and pan dulce (sweet bread). I think because we had such a giant and late lunch, that the Tia didn't want to overwhelm our stomachs with more food (probably eggs). So, we filled our mugs with yogurt, and began dipping our bread in it...correction. THEY filled their mugs with yogurt. I filled mine with water and ate my bread plain! I just can't do the yogurt thing, and I don't feel like it's going to be a regular occurance since I haven't seen it thus far until tonight. I just don't think this is something I should have to get used to. YUCCKKKK!
After supper, again, more card games happened, and we listened to MORE Alex Campos while the older girls did the dishes. Wendy styled my hair, so I'm going to need to do a thorough lice search tonight I do believe. Make sure that none of those little guys decided to make their way back into my blonde sun-kissed locks. Ewphhh!

excited for this week! it's the last week with the interns, so i know it's going to be really sad, but we're going to try to make the best of it and have a really great time together!

No comments:

Post a Comment