Thursday, July 8, 2010

might be bugs on some of ya mugs, but they sure are bugs on me.

let me just re-cap last night for you. after i blogged, and got all of this really great advice on how to treat my lice, i went and raided the refrigerator for some lice non-friendly things. what i found was mayonnaise and eggs. so, i stirred up a little mixture, and my lovely, sweet, kindhearted, self-less friends started buttering my whole head with it. what we found out was that the mayo was expired, so it smelled REAL bad, and raw eggs just never smell good unless they're in cake batter. so, after being covered in nastiness, and having my protective trashbag on as a shirt, i SAT. for two hours and waited for it to work. FINALLY at 10:30 I was able to get a shower and rinse it all out. My hair was a disgusting matted mess. I've never seen it that bad. So, I pulled it all back into a very very tight bun and went to sleep.woke up this morning, not itchy hardly at all, and was SUPER excited. then, went to breakfast and there were PANCAKES. even moreee excited. then, went to school, did some tutoring (candy was having an "on" day : ) ) at break however, as i'm basking in the 5th straight day of sunlight, rebecca suddenly jumps at my head and pulls out a little tiny bugger. hmph. So, it was then I realized I needed some more heavy duty killing supplies.
Before and after lunch today, Sarah and I took on the task of the Accelerated Reader program. We pulled all the books from the shelves and began sorting them by the level criteria we had come up with. As of 3pm today, all of the children's fiction books have been sorted, and reshelved according to author alphabetically. hmm :) i'm re-thinking my major, and might want to look into being a librarian? but really, i think that in my spare time I want to work for a publishing company and translate children's books into spanish! wouldn't that be funnn??? i think so!
after school today, the intern girls and i walked down to San Lucas (well, halfway, then we got a ride in the back of a truck.-don't worry. we knew the driver). We went to get some groceries and supplies for our trip this weekend! We've planned a 2 day excursion to the BEACH at Monterrico! It's a black sand beach with little sea turtles playing everywhere. We're really really really excited. We hear that it's super sunny and hot and we can't wait for either of those two things! At the store, we bought peanut butter, Chiky's, saltine crackers, and bananas. We have decided to pack a loaf of bread and the other things for our lunch on Saturday. We went to the bakery and bought some really really yummy poppy seed muffins for our breakfast on the beach Saturday morning! We're trying to conserve as much money as possible by not eating out while we're there! Also, while we were in town, I went to the pharmacy and very embarrassingly asked for lice shampoo. ugh. words question of my life: "tienes champu por los insectos en mi pelo?" i wanted to cry. i bought a little bottle for 15Q and just wanted to throw it away.
Once we got home, I lathered up my hair with the shampoo and waited for 30 mins for it to "kick in" aka kill those little things so that they'll know i mean business and never come back. During the 30 minutes, I did some laundry, and some much needed reading.
As I was reading, I was suddenly hit with the thought. Hey, the Lord's gonna use this Betsy, don't be frustrated. Like, really! He IS! Already, He's tested my patience with this. I'm calm-it will go away, I can handle it. He is humbling me in such obvious ways, and helping me to really come out of my comfort zone and ask for help where it's needed (aka picking my head). He is helping me to relate to the girls in a way that I couldn't before. I'm almost appreciative for this right now because I know He has such a purpose and reason for this to happen to a girl who has been lice-less for 21 years.

After my 30 minutes were up, I jumped in the shower, and "rinsed those buggers right outta my hair" (whoever can name the song i'm referencing and what movie it's from wins free chickfila from me when I get home!) I went straight over to supper with the girls, and had DELICIOUS fried plantains and pureed beans. Lupita, one of the older girls in my house, does all of the cooking on Wednesdays and Thursdays-as a way to train her for adulthood. She baked the tortillas so they were nice and crunchy, and made the beans a little bit saltier than normal so that they'd have more flavor. (I knew I loved her!) Dinner went by really fast, and before I knew it, Betsy's tutoring session was open for business. The girls surrounded me on the couch with their math books and asked for sooo much help! They have exams coming up, so they are studying and trying to catch up on everything that they've missed lately. I really loved helping them. I'm starting to learn all the math terminology in Spanish too, so that makes teaching it wayyy easier.

At 7, I went over to the office and began my night of Skype! I was SO lucky to talk to Carolyn tonight!! We haven't caught up in ages, and I was excited to hear about her internship, and share details of my last few weeks as well! Eek! I just can't wait to LIVE with that girl in just a month!!!! I also was able to call Brandi's cell phone. She was at the Chapel, so I was able to chat with a good many friends all at once! TECHNOLOGY IS SUCH A BLESSING!

Tomorrow, Patricia, the head teacher is going to a conference type thing for the first part of the day, so Rachael and I have been given all of her classes to teach! We will start at 7:30 am and go until 12-ALL.MATH. ummph. I'm wondering how that will go-I can be a tutor, probably not a great math TEACHER. But, excited nonetheless. At 12, we will grab our bags and RUN down to San Lucas, where Daniel (our personal cab driver-he takes us everywhere) will pick us up and take us to meet our 1pm shuttle in Antigua. The shuttle will take us to PARADISE for the next 48 hours! Can't even wait! Pray that we have good weather, and that everything goes as planned!

Happy Weekending, and I'll write when we get back!!

p.s. for those of you who know about the "cats lay eggs" story-ahem. i found a book in the library today called, "Las Gallinas no son las unicas"-"The Hens are not Alone". This book describes all of the animals that lay eggs. In the very back of the book, there is a picture of CATS. I almost died,-UNTIL i read the opposite page, where it talks about the fact that there are SOME animals that don't lay eggs-they reproduce another way. My hopes were crushed. But, got a good laugh out of it! :)

2 comments:

  1. Gonna wash that man right outta my hair - South Pacific - Nellie. I WIN!!
    PS - NEver leave that lice shampoo on for more than a second or two!!! Dangerous!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom-yes you do win! Also, I followed the directions on the bottle. My head is fine.

    ReplyDelete